Ovarian Cancer

For people or family members with a disease that want to treat or are treating with hemp oil, start here.

Ovarian Cancer

Postby ltpraha » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:25 am

January 2010 – August 2010
In January 2010, at the age of 62, I was diagnosed with advanced ovarian cancer (CA125 tumor markers 3566, normal range is 0 – 35). I underwent 3 rounds of chemotherapy (Taxol / Carboplatin) and the tumor markers went down to 266. I had surgery in May (during which the cancer was diagnosed as 3c) and 3 more rounds of chemotherapy (Taxol / Cisplatin).
Side effects during chemotherapy were leucopenia (low white blood cells count) trombocytopenia (low platelets count), rash.
In August 2010, I was declared cancer free. At the same time my daughter and I had genetic testing and we both are bearers of BRCA1 (women with this mutated gene are more at risk for breast and ovarian cancer).
Follow- up checkups (ultrasound, no CA 125 test) after 3, 6, 9 and 12 months were normal.
January 2011
After reading The China Study by Dr. Campbell I became vegan. I also attended “Food for Life Nutrition and Cooking Classes for Cancer Prevention and Survival” classes and was following their recommendation in my diet. I was also checking my ph regularly.
September 2011
The September 5 and October 6 checkups showed increased CA 125 tumor markers (40 and 65) and fluid in the abdomen on the abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound. The oncologist recommended a CAT scan. If they found something, I would undergo the same chemotherapy as I did the first time. At this time, I started researching alternative treatments and learned about Rick Simpson and his hemp oil. After seeing the interview on http://ricksimpsonhempoil.blogspot.com/ ... tract.html I decided to give it a try. I acquired 60 g of hemp oil in 5 syringes. According to the seller it was approximately 60 % THC and tested by CW lab for content and pesticides, strain unknown). While I was taking it, I was having my blood tested every 28 days and having my oncologist interpret the results.
October 2011 (10 days of usage)
I started taking the oil on October 19 following exactly Rick Simpson instructions, starting very slowly with very low doses). After about 3 days I started having very strong anxiety and depression feelings but continued for 7 more days. I stopped taking the oil 3 days before the next tumor marker test. Normally I do not suffer from anxiety or depression and am a pretty optimistic and positive person. So this mental state was quite a shock to me. Part of the problem might have been that I never had experience with smoking cannabis in my youth:). The results of the test were surprisingly good – 70.7, an increase of only 10 % compared to the 60 % increase between the last two tests. My doctor commented that the result was very good and that I could postpone chemotherapy.
November 2011 (28 days of slowly increased usage)
I started taking the oil again and took it for 28 days twice a day – a bigger dosage at night and a smaller in the morning. I was able to tolerate it this time much better – had only a few cases of of very mild depression. I used about half a syringe (that would have been 6ml so far). The tumor marker test showed an increase of 15 %, which was a little disappointing – we were hoping for an improvement. My doctor’s comment was that the tumor is growing but not aggressively or fast and that chemotherapy can still be postponed.
December 2011 (28 days of usage)
I continued taking the oil and increasing the dosage. I reached the full dosage about 2 weeks before the next blood test. I was having major depression and anxiety feelings again and was fighting them with meditation and in the last 5 days before the test with Xanax. I had used almost 2 syringes (24 ml) so far. The tumor marker test showed again an increase of 15 %. My doctor’s comment: it is clear that the cancer has returned but chemotherapy should start only after the tumor shows on ultrasound or CAT scan. I decided to stop taking the oil and have an ultrasound done back home in Europe.
January 2012
Jan 11: The abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound showred neither a tumor nor fluid in the abdominal area. I was able to locate hemp oil made exactly according to the RS procedure, started taking it at night and seemed to be tolerating it better but after about 10 days I had to stop because of anxiety feelings. During those 10 days I was also taking 1 xanax (the lowest dose 0.25 mg)
January 20: PET/CT showed small tumors in the abdominal area and on the liver. I decided to follow the doctor’s recommendation and start chemotherapy (Taxol / Platinum). But I am not giving up on RSO and am thinking of trying it again after the chemotherapy treatment is over. Maybe by then there will some more research.
A note: There were other factors that may have contributed to my anxiety feelings:
(1)I live in the US but have my doctors and most importantly my health insurance in my native country in Europe (where I was also treated for my first bout with cancer).
(2)The fact that the hemp oil is illegal also contributed to my anxiety.
ltpraha
New User

Re: Ovarian Cancer

Postby Christian » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:01 am

Hello ltpraha,

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story! A few comments about the anxiety and the oil
1) high THC oil will generally cause anxiety, that is one of the properties of THC, however this is modulated by
2) CBD in oil can act as a 'counter' to the THC anxiety, helping fight this
3) CBN, which is caused from degradation of THC through aging or heat, also causes causes sleepiness <- this is what I believe Rick Simpson means when he says Indica oil, since he mentions sleepiness in his videos.

Getting a higher CBN counter can be achieved through pre and post processing of the oil.

About your specific cancer, its unfortunate that you found small tumors in the abdominal area and on the liver. The chemo may be a wise option for you to take, however chemo does have some rough side effects and may cause nausea and even pain. Using the hemp oil I believe can help during the chemo with pain and wellness, so if you do decide to do the chemo, please keep the oil as an option to help you along if you need, it does not interfere with the chemo at all.
Rick Simpson does not recommend any chemo, however there isn't enough document evidence to simply take his word on it if your life is on the life, especially if you were using the oil before and not having the good effects. So I do understand this is a personal choice everyone has to make about their path of treatment.

Anyways, I do wish the best on whatever course you choose and I hope you can update this journal as well in the future with your updates and progress.
Christian
Site Admin

Postby ltpraha » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:17 am

Christian,
thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate it. I have a few questions, maybe somebody on the forum can answer them:
1 Has anyone experienced anxiety or depression while taking RSO?
2 Did I make a mistake by not taking it 3x times a day and instead taking a bigger dose at night because I was able to tolerate it better at night?
3 Does anybody have experience with taking the RSO during chemotherapy?
ltpraha
New User

Postby Christian » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:07 am

ltpraha wrote:Christian,
thanks a lot for your comments, I really appreciate it. I have a few questions, maybe somebody on the forum can answer them:
1 Has anyone experienced anxiety or depression while taking RSO?
2 Did I make a mistake by not taking it 3x times a day and instead taking a bigger dose at night because I was able to tolerate it better at night?
3 Does anybody have experience with taking the RSO during chemotherapy?

I can answer partially a few of these questions

1) Yes, from what I have heard, a few people have noticed anxiety
2) No, the main compounds in the oil last fairly long, so 2 or 3 times a day isn't very different overall
3) Yes, I know people who use the oil to help them with the hard side effects of chemo, such as pain, appetite, etc... You will have to see for yourself if it offers you anecdotal help. Also, Rick Simpsons says it helps fight the 'negative' effects that chemo can have on your body.

I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this also, please post if anyone else can offer anything...
Christian
Site Admin

Postby Mel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:26 pm

I have experience with oil while on chemo. How can I help?

Xxoo
Mel
Http://imstillbreathin.com
Mel

Postby ltpraha » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:21 am

Hi Mel!
Could you post your suggestions / experiences here, it might be useful for others!
Thanks a lot!
ltpraha
New User

Postby Mel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 am

I need to know what you want to know. I'm in the middle of getting ready to travel to GA for tx and writing a blog so ask away and I'll be sure to answer.

Mel
Mel

Postby Mel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 am

I will say that it breezed me the chemo. Never had one count drop and I was getting weekly treatments.
Mel

Postby ltpraha » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:51 am

I will be getting Taxol / Platinum treatment every 3 weeks, same as 2 years ago. I had problems with appetite, rash, low white blood and platelets count (which meant that the chemo had to be postponed for about a week each time to let the blood recover).
In what form, how often and how much were you taking? Where you taking something else too - canna butter, cookies, ...?
ltpraha
New User

Postby Mel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:09 am

I got weekly taxotere treatments. I never had to push back a treatment due to low counts ... not one time. I felt strong, invigorated. Chemo doesn't typically do that. I also vaporize several times a day/night. :)

xxoo
Mel
Mel

Next

Return to Start Here - Post Your Story